Well, that was some ending last night. In case you went to bed expecting “La La Land” would win Best Picture at the 89th Academy Awards, you missed one heck of a moment.
In an upset, “Moonlight” won Best Picture. However, presenters Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway announced “La La Land” as the winner. The cast and crew ran up on stage, and began to deliver their acceptance speeches, but something odd going on in the background. You could see people running around, and it was probably chaotic backstage.
As the “La La Land” team was mid-speech, it was revealed that “Moonlight” was the real Best Picture recipient. Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway had read the wrong name.
As the “Lala Land” people left the stage stunned, and the “Moonlight” people took the stage to accept the award, an old man who used to be Warren Beatty tried to explain his side of the story, saying:
“I want to tell you what happened. I opened the envelope and it said ‘Emma Stone – La La Land’. That’s why I took such a long look at Faye and at you [the audience]. I wasn’t trying to be funny.”
So to be fair, this wasn’t Dick Tracy’s fault. The fault really lies with Pricewaterhouse and the person who gave Beatty the wrong envelope. While mistakes do happen, I can’t help wondering why Pricewaterhouse has two enveloped for every category. If that’s always been the case, then I’m surprised a mistake on this scale hasn’t happened before.
Anyways, other than the grand finale everyone will be talking about today, the 89th annual Academy Awards was like any other Oscar telecast. And as usual, I have a few thoughts on the evening’s events:
- Jimmy Kimmel wasn’t the worst host, but he wasn’t great either. If you watched the EMMY’s last fall, you pretty much knew what to expect
- The ABC red carpet show needs a lot of work. If ABC is the only network broadcasting live for the hour, give me a reason to watch.
- I don’t know the first thing about fashion, but for my money, Brie Larson was the best dressed last night. Sometimes, simple is best.
- Will someone, please give Giuliana Rancic something to eat.
- Justin Timberlake got Furiosa to dance.
- What was the deal with Jackie Chan and his pandas? I assume they meant something. I can’t imagine he’s just walking the red carpet with two toy pandas for no reason.
- I was happy to see Viola Davis win, but her speech about grave yard stories didn’t really go anywhere.
- If you don’t watch Jimmy Kimmel’s show, you probably have no idea what’s going on between him and Matt Damon.
- Suicide Squad and Leonardo DiCaprio have the same number of Oscar wins.