For most people, Christmas means spending all day relaxing, eating, and having fun with your family. Not so much for the workers at Video To Go.
As I mentioned in a previous VTG Files, one of our favorite after work traditions was to travel down to Rhode Island to play the slot machines at what was then called Lincoln Park. We went down there all the time, sometimes more than once a week which probably wasn’t the smart thing to do money wise. We liked going down there so much, we even did it on Christmas day.
December 25th fell on a Thursday in 2003, and on that day I had a very important choice to make: go see “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King” with Laneit and the rest of the TNU gang, or go gamble, possibly win lots of money, and ogle Ali at the casino.
By 2003. I had realized that the Lord of the Rings movies were not my cup pf tea, so of course I chose to go to the casino. Per usual, the crew on this trip were, my boss Krysty, her boyfriend Kris, Ali, and me. I won’t bore you with all the details, so I’ll just give you some of the night’s highlights:
- Krysty’s thinking had been “It’s Christmas, so the place will be empty, it’ll be fun.” Wrong! Lincoln Park was packed like we’d never seen before.
- I still say every nursing home and/or assisted living facility brought all their clients there that night, because the parking lot was full of buses from all over New England.
- This was the last time someone asked me for my I.D.
- One lady had on biggest fur coat I’ve ever seen. You could barely see her head sticking out.
- Ali told me to focus dammit!
- Krysty and Kris vanished for a couple of hours. They were either doing the horizontal mambo somewhere, or they found a door to Narnia behind a slot machine.
- It’s not a party until someone faints.
- Old people are touchy about slot machines.
- Two guys got into a fight over either a woman or a slot machine. It was difficult to tell from all the yelling as they were escorted out by security.
- IHOP was closed.